You'll feel better after a good nights sleep. Isn't that what they say? But what if the sleep doesn't come?
Most of us will have had the odd sleepless night here and there for whatever reason, but for some others this is their normal. Only it isn't normal.
The average adult needs 7-9 hours of sleep per night to function at their best. So what happens if we're only getting 3-5 hours sleep per night? Well......
- your immune system becomes compromised, resulting in more frequent illness.
- your heart health is affected leaving you with a greater risk of heart attack or stroke
- your cancer risk increases
- you have brain fog and poor memory
- your libido may become lowered or disappear altogether
- you gain weight
- your diabetes risk increases
- you may become accident prone
- your skin suffers
Not a pretty picture.
So, what can you do to overcome insomnia? There are some simple things you can do to help yourself.
- stick to a bedtime routine. Find a time and a ritual that suits you and follow that nightly. This will help your body and mind to wind down.
- take regular exercise
- get plenty of natural light exposure throughout the day
- practice some mindfulness or meditation before bed
- limit screen time before bed
- keep your bedroom a tech free /low tech zone
All these things will certainly help to improve your sleep, but they may not address the underlying issue. Many of us find it difficult to switch off at night and find ourselves overthinking when we should be sleeping. This is where homeopathy steps in.
The absolute best remedy to help you in overcoming chronic insomnia is what we call your constitutional remedy. This is the remedy that is best suited to you as a whole person, mind, body and spirit. To do this your homeopath will consult with you about all your symptoms, likes, dislikes, who you are as a person. They will then give you the remedy most suitable for you.
But there are a few remedies that you can try yourself at home to help.
If you would like to talk further about your insomnia please feel free to get in touch Contact Solas Homeopathy